An exercise. As clear an image or story as possible. No more than one hundred fifty words.
Updated Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday at midnight.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

011.

“But I need an extension.”

“You haven’t attended class or even called, emailed or used office hours to tell me why.”

“I couldn’t make it here when you were available.”

“And your computer blew up?”

“It did.”

“You could’ve called. Did your phone explode too?”

“No.”

“I don’t see …”

“A demon ate it.”

“That’s the best excuse I’ve ever heard.”

“I got a copy of The Necronomicon from the interlibrary loan…”

“That’s a fictional book.”

“Heartland had a copy. I was trying to figure out how to cite it, muttering about how much I hated working on this assignment – sorry – and my job when I guess I started reading aloud…”

“And a demon sprang from the pages.”

“Yes.”

“Plausible. Let me see.”

The student handed over the book. The teacher opened it, selected a page and read some out loud. Then a demon appeared and ate the student whole.