An exercise. As clear an image or story as possible. No more than one hundred fifty words.
Updated Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday at midnight.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

061.


“You’re the one Scott hired.” 

“Yes.  To do...”

“I know why he hired you.  I don’t like it when he does that while I’m on vacation.”  This querulous, red-faced man was Joe, Scott’s partner. 

“My name’s Steven…”

“I know your name.  What’s that?”  Joe pointed to the tip of a devil’s tail showing beneath Steven’s short sleeve. 

It was a regrettable tattoo. The kind you get and then and dream about covering up for the next couple years: a cartoon devil, pitchfork ready, giving the finger.

“I keep forgetting about that.  You can barely see it…”

“But I do see it.”

The devil shuffled around inside Steven’s shirtsleeve before poking his head out.  “I see you too, jackass.”  He waved his pitchfork at Joe.  “How about you let the kid do his damn job?”

Joe, confused, skulked away.

“I'm never thinking of covering you up again,” said Steven.

“Damn straight.”