An exercise. As clear an image or story as possible. No more than one hundred fifty words.
Updated Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday at midnight.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

062.


The guy upstairs makes a lot of noise late at night but he has cancer and an unsecured wifi network.  I stare at the ceiling listening to him clomp around at one in the morning and wonder if either of those two things was different – if he was healthy or password protected – if I would storm upstairs to demand that he take off the damned clogs for once.

“But he has cancer,” I think when his pacing stops me from falling asleep.  I take my laptop from the nightstand and peruse the silence of the social networks.  All those timelines on pause as the world sleeps save for me and the sickly shadow above.

I send him a friend request and listen to him plod across his apartment.  He accepts and I see most of his updates complain about the loud music “from the freeloader downstairs.”

That wispy little prick.